Friday, July 23, 2010

Why?

So right, I was planning on doing a more thorough review of sorts of AVPS later today, but I have something else stuck on my mind.

I was watching some clips from the In the Womb series from national geographic, and they had some clips about multiples in humans and how their interactions with each other shape their personality for the rest of their life (or at least they said something along those lines). Suddenly, my mind jumped to career day last year. Basically for career day at my school you got to go to different rooms where people were giving different presentations on things. Instead of going to the teacher one like I did last year (where someone from the Department of education who has probably never been a teacher, describes not the joy of teaching, or what you have to do, but basically drones on about salaries and unions) I'd signed up for the psychologist presentation. And our speaker had us go around the room and say why we were there, and told us to be honest (leading to a lot of, "I chose randomly"s). So when she got to me, I told her I was there because I'm interested in why people are the way they are. I mean, if I was to become a psychologist major I would be in it to learn about what people thought about why people act as they do. And her response was "oh, no one knows that" or something along those lines, with the look towards me that almost seemed to indicate she was thinking "who cares?"

And so as I was drifting off to sleep last night, I was thinking very hard about how someone can not have curiosity about these things. Why is one of the most thrilling words in the world. There are a lot of things that we don't need to know, but that we should want to know just because the answer could, and likely will be, interesting. It's why National Geographic exists. It's why I love books, because the exploration of why a person would do something, or how a person ends up in a situation (I believe how to just be a varied way of exploring why), is absolutely fascinating.

Why should I be considered odd for wanting to know why everything ended up the way it is?
-Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)