Sunday, December 25, 2011

I got a kindle for Christmas

And I feel terrible because the more time I spend with the thing, the less I like it.

Don't get me wrong, there are benefits. When I go to college, I'm not going to be able to cart two bookshelves with me, but a kindle is no issue. The books are a bit (though not much) cheaper. Classic books that are under public domain are free, which means no reading on my laptop or paying money for books I don't really want (you can be sure that my winter break lit assignment is being downloaded and read for free on my kindle).

But there is something so very wrong about not having a physical book in my hands. I'm used to adjusting myself a few times while I read, and paging through to find my place. I like to share my books with people, and love being able to say "yeah, I have to bookshelves, and not enough space for them".

On my bookshelf right now, are maybe twenty or twenty five books signed by various authors... (I just counted, 23 books with 24 signatures -one was let it snow, which I have signed by john green and maureen johnson). And I found myself hesitating to buy and preorder the name of the star and the fault in our stars respectively, because what if I get to meet MJ again? And John signed thousands of pages of TFioS, and that wouldn't be on an ebook. I have a lot of memories too, of going to get books signed. When I went to get my MJ books signed, I met other nerdfighters, won a book, and ended up becoming a huge fan of one of the other authors that was there (sarah mlynowski if you were wondering. I read gimme a call before the signing just so I would have read something by all the authors there, and I felt it was brilliant).

And two weeks ago, in my complete frustration with Shakespeare, I ripped out a few pages of act one. I've never felt so much relief from a simple act. And I'm not about to go breaking a hundred dollar object to get a similar satisfaction.

I bought perfect by Ellen Hopkins on ebook, but I now realize that her books are formatted to make specific pictures and things of the like, which will be impossible to see until I fix my text size so that the pages match up.

I just feel like there's something so special about physical books that cannot be replicated by an electronic. And I know that I'm likely to end up buying the physical copies of the books I really fall in love with while reading on my kindle.

I'm still completely grateful for it, and trust me, I will be reading up a storm these next few days, and my back will be thankful when school starts and I'm not trucking around three books in my bag for the small chance that I might have a spare second to read.

Perhaps I will find it more enjoyable when the pottermore store opens and I can read harry potter while listening to the audiobook off of my one device. Because trust me, I am VERY excited for that.

I hope you all had a merry christmas. I sure did! And I guess I'll be seeing you around.
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

PS: Somnambulance, I don't know whether to be pleased or happy that I've made you cry. I honestly thought that post was rather bad myself, but I'm glad that it touched you that much! And I'm just curious, how did you find the blog? New people don't really show up here, particularly since I don't follow many blogs myself.

1 comment:

somnambulance said...

Sorry for not answering you sooner. You should be happy. I needed it. I don't even remember how I found this. I think I had googled something unrelated and found you. But thank you :)

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)