Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sexism

Oh gosh, I really wish I hadn't been made to be thinking about this.

It all was really quite simple. I'm planing on asking someone out tomorrow (I'm nervous, but if it doesn't pan out, it's no big deal), so I asked my ex who is my friend now (because we realized it worked better that way), and who has been around without getting around if you know what I mean. So uh... right. So I asked him yesterday if he had ever asked someone out without really knowing them. He said yeah, he knew someone for 30 minutes then asked them out. Then he was asking me why I asked "Did some guy you barely know ask you out?" "No" and there were one or two more questions until I was like "I'm thinking of asking out someone I only sort of know". And his response was great shock to me. His face got harder, and he said with an almost slightly angry tone "I can't tolerate being asked out by girls. I only let it happen once with Britney, because I'd asked her out first. Girls shouldn't ask guys out, it's not right." And then he freaking left it at that.

There is a reason he's my ex. The way I sorta felt like his object that he forgot about was a major reason. But never before had he been so blatantly sexist. And it makes me wonder if all guys think this, or if it's just him being an asshole. Now, I know most guys wouldn't be so blunt about it, but do a lot of them feel so emasculated by being asked out by a girl, or see girls as sex, or perhaps see them as belonging in the kitchen? It took a few minutes for what he said to sink in, but once it had, I felt like yelling at him. It's the 21st century, is it really so crazy to be asked out by a girl?

I know there will always be sexism, and racism, and classism, and whatever-else-ism, but to hear it coming from somewhere I never expected was jarring.

I hope none of my daughters ever feel like they are worth less than a man. It's a future I can really hope for.

Something less serious later this week!
~Jess the Nerdfighting Band Geek

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)