Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fandom

I am not the loud, vocal one. I don't lead anything. I can even be apathetic at points. But until things get very bad I am loyal to the end.

I think the only TV show I ever stopped completely standing by was Bones, which has continued to go down the drain in the realm of becoming a caricature of itself. I miss the Brennan who used to kick butt. I get annoyed that she's been flanderized to such a point as she has. I still tune in every week, perhaps not when it airs, but by the morning after.

In general I take in. I take in other people's opinions, read reviews, read news, watch videos, listen to new songs, listen to podcasts. I take in what other people have to say and what other people plan. I'm not proactive in making any of this happen. Most of my proactivity, if any, goes towards reviewing fanfictions and reading new ones. I don't really write fanfiction anymore, because I have issues with motivation when I get frustrated with characters, and oneshots aren't always the easiest for me to do well.

I think my one solace in the idea of a fandom is that I am not alone in not being the spearhead. Harry Potter is a fandom of thousands or even millions, yet there are only a few hundred who can truly affect the fandom. And usually I am okay with this.

But sometimes I want to, and need to ask why. Why aren't I a bit older so that I could be one of the spearheads? Why haven't I truly put myself out there when I know I can? It's all so silly.

And I just have to remember that fandom isn't just about being in the lead. It's about making friends, having fun, and most importantly being passionately in love with what the fandom surrounds.

I am passionately in love with Fringe, Harry Potter, Nerdy Youtubers, Wrock (admittedly this falls under the subsection of Harry Potter), How I Met Your Mother, Maureen Johnson's Books, ALL CAPS, non-shooter video games, Neopets, and Firefly.

And while I love all of these things, I take in as much as I can, form my own opinions, and mostly keep them to myself. But sometimes I share them on here. Sometimes I start a conversation on Facebook. Sometimes I get a Fanfiction comment or make one myself.

This is my fandom.
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

PS: Texas was fun, and I'm mostly being lazy about editing anything. I promise to have something* up by the end of the month though =)

*something implies at least a picture. I'm not gonna make any promises I won't keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)