Friday, January 28, 2011

Why I Hate the Poster in My Health Classroom

I am a junior taking health in a sophomore class. The only other junior in this class is someone who also moved last year. This is not at all relevant to the story, but I felt it necessary to interject, because I am/have taken three classes this year meant for sophomores: Drivers Ed, Health, and AP Euro, and so it is no wonder that people either think that I'm a Freshman, Sophomore or Junior. And this isn't even adding in such details as the fact that the majority of my friends at my school (by which I mean all of my close friends but one) are Freshmen or that I often only have half a lunch period, or that... well you get the point.

Anyways!

So there is this poster in my health classroom, it says "Live for the Future, Not the Moment. Sex Can Wait". Now lets ignore the fact that in general I am against abstinence education as the root of sex ed. I know my health class does comprehensive sex ed, but I have no idea if abstinence is one of the major roots of the sex ed part, as I have not gotten there yet. Not to say that I'm against people who decide that abstinence is right for them, I just know that it's probably not something that really fits me, or a whole lot of other people.

Right back to what I was saying before that tangent.

So ignore the last three words of that poster, and you're left with "Live for the Future, Not the Moment." What kind of life advice is THAT? I understand that you need to realize that your actions now, if only focused on your current amusement rather than the impacts on your future, can badly impact your future (and later amusement). But to live a life that is only ever focused on the next thing and the next thing is no way to live. You need to stop and breathe. Love and enjoy what you have in that moment, because living outside of the current moment so entirely means loosing so much. Parents can almost always tell you that their children seemed to have grown up in the blink of an eye. And think of how much faster that time might seem to have gone if they were only considering that their child was going to grow up into an angsty teenager, rather enjoying their time left with a curious and rambunctious tot.

Another poster that is actually outside of my health classroom on the door speaks about how if you have sex you're going to feel unnatural, wrong things. Why on Earth should sex be considered unnatural? Can anyone answer me that? I mean, sex is pretty damn natural, it's what keeps a large amount of species, well, EXISTING. If that isn't natural then I don't know what is. You know what isn't natural? Clothes. So am I supposed to stop wearing clothes because a poster has related what is unnatural to what is wrong?

Abstinence posters, please get your act together.


Sincerely,

A Disgruntled Junior Health Student
(AKA Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)