Saturday, October 16, 2010

NaNoWriMo

Is anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year?

I always want to do NaNoWriMo, but the first year I knew about it I was in 7th grade, and knew there was no realistic way for me to pull it off, especially since we were in the middle of a move that month, and lived in a hotel for half of the month. A year later I was a 13 year old ninth grader, in the wake of my first marching season, and was more focused on fanfiction. It wasn't right for me then. Last year, I was very excited to do it with almost no plot to go on, but then I got grounded because I'd gotten some bad grades, and lost my laptop/internet until December. So now we're to this year.

I have a few different stories I've been considering working on. First is a series I originally wrote a large chunk of in middle school, that I think has marinaded (to use the words of Maureen Johnson's editor) long enough for me to be able to work on fixing a lot of its original problems in a complete redraft. Then I have another story I was working on towards the end of this summer that I stopped working on because of school and it only having an end goal, but no plot for in between whatsoever.

I also have two very sketchy plot outlines in my head. One about a girl growing up in sort of post apocalyptic world a few centuries from our own who wants to see rain. And another about a girl's life once she has returned to her family after being kidnapped ten years before.

All of these issues have their own strengths and issues. The series is one that I actually plotted out in a more structured way than anything else I'm considering, but that also means figuring out what to cut for plot pace. My summer story has a lack of plot that I've already mentioned, but I have a very clear picture of the characters. The first plot outline I've been thinking about for half a year, so there are a lot of little details I already know, but then I have no plot to go with it right now. The final plot is one that I came up with a couple of weeks ago when I realized it was almost NaNoWriMo, so there aren't any details, and the storyline also comes with a lot of research that I'm not sure I can do in 2 weeks, but then right now it could go anywhere.

I have no idea which of these stories I will do. If any considering that I'm not sure how busy I will be in November, and this all makes me really nervous. But then I know that sitting around like this will mean me never writing anything, which is counter productive,but I know myself, and I am lazy.

In other news, this has to be the craziest week I've had in a long time, and because of all the crazy going on, I havent gotten a proper night of sleep all week I would have finally caught up on some sleep today if it hadn't been decided that I was going to drive us to the commissary and be woken up far too early for someone who hasn't been sleeping and RAWR! Things just aren't going the way they should be, and I find myself far too stressed out. I just want one night where I can get to bed at nine and wake up at noon *sigh*

Yours,
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

2 comments:

anne said...

Yay! I'm considering doing NaNoWriMo, too. Good luck! Hope what you want to write about and such all falls into place.

Jess said...

I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year! I'm also organizing this NaNoWriMo competition thing: http://nanonerdfighters.blogspot.com/p/about.html

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)