Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bravery

The things you can't measure tend to be the things that matter most.

In a lot of situations, I turn into chicken shit. There is a bee near me? First instinct is to stay still, second instinct is to run away as fast as possible. Unexpected thing suddenly touches me? Jump up in intense panic. Audition? Talk myself down, and become extremely nervous.

I don't mean to be this way, it just happens. Instinctively, my body goes for the flight of fight or flight response. My brain shuts down. For other people, these things are no big deal, just a fact of life, and they don't freak out. These are the people who in my mind, probably wouldn't flinch if they met a dragon on a walk through the city.

But does that make them brave?

I strongly believe that bravery finds its roots in fear. And no matter if you seem to be the person who could face down a dragon, we all have a breaking point where things scare us. Fear is human.

I could never face a dragon, but I think I can still be just as brave as someone who could face a dragon. The effort it takes that person to face a dragon, is quite possibly the effort it takes for me to face a bee. And no matter how insignificant your fear may be, the effort you put into overcoming it, that is how brave you are.

In some ways, I would even say I am far braver than the person who can face a dragon. Because how often are you going to face a dragon compared to a bee?

I am highly fearful, but I am brave.

I am Gryffindor.
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

PS: Basically this is the first of four things I am going to do on how I belong in all of the four houses, and how really, houses don't matter, because everyone is everything. Basically I'm using Harry Potter to practice writing essays for English.

PPS: I'm getting my first essay back from English, and once I go through and edit it again, I will post it on here. It's about the internet and social networking from a more human perspective... I think... Whatever it's about, I think it will be good for posting after another edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)