Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Home

Where is my home?

In a span of 15 years, I have lived in five different countries/states, seven towns, and eight different houses. How are you supposed to pick the one place to be your hometown when you have that many options. When I go to college, where am I supposed to say my hometown is?

If it's where I was first born, then I am native to Bremerton, WA, a place I can only ever remember being in when we visited friends who lived there when we lived in Washington the second time. If it is where I spent the most time living, it is Glenview. If it's where I had the largest group of close friends, it's Hawaii. If it's where I grew up, well I'm not even entirely sure I have even grown up yet.

My home can't be where my heart is either, because my heart is even more conflicted in location. I have friends in Japan, Hawaii, Washington, California, Texas, Georgia, Ohio, New Mexico, Illinois, North Carolina, Germany, England, and probably other places I'm not aware of.

My home can't be where my family is. Because then my home is Utah, California, Illinois, England, and Finland. And sure, you could go by where my parents are only, but I think that would be ignoring the fact that outside of my direct family, I have been blessed with a multitude of loving people.

I suppose in the end, I might as well just say my home is anywhere you could imagine I'd be. Imagine I could end up in South Korea? I could, or a friend could and take me with them. Maybe, in a sense, our hometown is not anywhere we have been yet, but the place we make our peace with the world and settle down into a community, while maintaining our connections around the world.

Maybe it'd just be simpler if I said I'm from Nerdfighteria xD
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)