Monday, September 27, 2010

The Crazy Weeks Are the Best Ones

Update on my life. Cuz this is a blog, and you do stuff like that on these.

Right, homecoming week was kind of crazy, but overall it was completely fun and awesome, and I will have memories of this week for a long time. However, I was also glad on Sunday to get my day of recovery from all the crazyness. Same goes for this week: looking forward to nothing crazier than band. And band craziness doesn't ever wear me out, so it's all good.

Yeah, I have jazz band tonight, we finished setting drill today, have an extra rehearsal Wednesday night, and go to our first competition this Sunday. If I didn't love band, I might kill myself from self induced stress. But luckily, I love band, even if I have to play trombone =P

Every once in a while, I forget why I tell people I want to be a band director. I almost feel like I've locked myself in. But then we have weeks where everything gets serious, and I really sit down to work, where it all clicks. I am a musician, and I want to share every little bit of knowledge I have to a future generation of band geeks. These are the weeks that tend to bring everyone else down, but I thrive on. In some ways, it makes me miss spring time in Hawaii (particularly freshman year), where you have lessons, and jazz band, and honor band, and youth symphony, and select band, and small ensemble, and end of year concerts sucking up almost every free moment of your life. I love the spring in that manner. It's like a musical rebirth.

I also love math, and writing. Which is why despite having a decent amount of homework to fit in before jazz band, and to have to do during Monday night tv, I don't feel stressed or angered or anything. I fell well enough to sit down and say, hey, things are going good.

Talk to me next week and I will probably be stressed again >_<

Now I'm gonna go, because the essay and the math await. But first I wanna ask if you have anything like band is for me? Where sometimes you forget why you love it, until it's all your life is and you remember why. I'm curious.

And that is it for now!
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

PS: I have to write a commonplace assignment on Autumn that I think I might post here. So look for that sometime this week.
PPS: I'm reading Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements, it's absolutely amazing if you're looking for a book recommendation. (see: why I love getting 40% off coupons in my email).

1 comment:

Marisa said...

Band is a lot like that for me also. Just music in general. I don't know if I'm going to be a band director, but I know I'm going into music. There's always choir and clarinet and piano and guitar to practice. Sometimes I think it's hard to get a job in that field, or that I could do something else. It's hard to be completely positive about what you're doing with the rest of your life. I'm sticking with music.

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)