Sunday, August 14, 2011

Another Post Today

Ah, no reason at all for two posts in a day, but you know what, I'm gonna roll with it.

So I did a little bit of work, and I know it's going to bite me in the ass later, but tomorrow I'm going to be in the library for about ten hours, so I figure I'll get to make it up later. Plus I feel like starting to read catch 22 just because I want to, so I probably will tonight. Really, I would have started reading it days ago if I didn't have to annotate (see: has never annotated an English book before).

Anyways, I was reading through a QA Ally Carter did in the comments section of one of her blog posts, and it reminded me of something I figured out a few days ago.

See, I've been sort of picking at writing this one story for a while. The problem was that I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I had two clear characters, one, a girl who has parents that work for a university and considers herself to have been an "alone child" (basically, though she may not be able to declare it as such, she snubbed all of her peers at a young age simply because she thought she was smarter -very true, and overall just better than them -not very true), and the other, a rich girl with an abusive father who has rebelling against the conforms of her world for a very long time.

The story, as it had been written, centered around their meeting around the age of ten and becoming friends. Then it was to be alternating chapters, Mina (the alone girl) telling the story of what was going on before she jumped in front of a bullet to save her friend who had less reason to be alive, and Chastity telling the story after Mina jumps, explaining the repercussions, until finally, with both characters perspectives finally in place, the story of that day is retold.

Now, I tend to write best when there is introspection involved. In fact, all of the fanfics I've finished ever (ie: the oneshots I've written), are focused on introspection. I generally suck at plot. But it hit me a few days ago that there was a plot, and I just hadn't found it yet. Right now, I have about fifteen pages of introspection with very little plot or dialogue or interaction whatsoever. I've been showing an internal monologue, not telling a story.

But anyways, all that build up was to basically say that the plot has hit me in the face like a fish, and I will now be rewriting everything, and hopefully I will actually be interested to see where it goes this time. And no, I will not tell you the plot. I will only tell you that the characters remain the same, and the structure of the story (back and forth, past and present) will still exist... I think.

;)
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)