Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Being Self Centered

So it occurs to me that, in general, blogging is a very self centered process.

With blogging you are talking about your opinions, your day, your past, your future, your projects, your likes and dislikes, and generally just yourself. You can be a political blogger, and you are still entirely there because it's all about what you think. Really, unless you are blogging for an organization, where you get to use the pronoun "we", it is guaranteed that what you write will be self centered.

I blog, and I talk about what's going on, how things have changed for me, things I think are cool, ect. Ultimately, I think that makes this a media that has a far larger possibility on a personal/relational level. By reading about a person, you can take them in, and if you like them you can establish contact and make friends. So that's really cool.

But then, on the other side, if you blog something and there is no response from anyone whatsoever then you have to wonder what is wrong with you, because again, blogging is all about the person writing.

Anyways (and this post is more just me flitting off, because I really have no conclusion to make about what I just said), I'm now wondering if the people who end up making blogs are ultimately self centered people. Honestly, I'd say I'm a self centered person. I try not to be, and I'm definitely working on my conversational skills as of late (I feel I talk about myself too much) to try and make sure that I'm letting other people get a word in edge wise. Although that is somewhat funny, because I'm usually either a conversation hog or I am far too quiet and just sit and listen to the conversations that are happening. Perhaps maybe moderation is the key?

So what do y'all think about the self centeredness involved with blogging? I'd be interested to know.

20 Days until Maureen Johnson book signing!
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

1 comment:

Marisa said...

I think we are all self-centered at heart. It's just humanity. It reminds me of John Green talking about how you only see things from your own point of view.
To me, blogging is less self-centered than my friends on Facebook, who have thousands of pictures of themselves. Facebook seems very narcissistic to me.
I don't know. I'm not very opinionated.

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)