Monday, April 18, 2011

BEDA? Day 18? Maybe?

My mind never shuts up.

I mean, I suppose most people's mind's don't shut up, because supposedly we have three thoughts ever second, and all that jazz, but I think my mind doesn't shut up in a very different way than most people's.

For one, I can, let's say get assigned an interesting paper, and then think about it for hours until I can finally get home, but in the meantime I also have songs stuck in my head and wants and needs and everything up in there, overlapping all at once. It get's pretty intense, which is almost entirely why I write.

That was probably far more round about than I intended it to be. I write because things are stuck in my head that don't get out until I put it down. I generally share things that aren't stories on my blog, and then stories just get spread all over the place - assuming I think it's worth anything.

Writing doesn't need to be about being pretty, or describing things in intense details. I think if that's your goal in writing, you're doing something wrong. Writing is about spreading your ideas and getting a message across. Of course there are various frilly ways of getting to it, but that's not the point. The point is the message. Plain and simple.

In English class, we talk about voice a lot. We're all different, so how we write should be different. I doubt anybody writes like I do. I ramble, and when I don't ramble it still has that rambling essence. My sentences run on for hours. Nothing ever comes back to where it seems like it should. This is simply how I think, and I think that's voice. Voice is what you think, and writing is what you think, and it all is a message somehow.

I tend to write stories that pick at one detail over and over. I always can see one detail affecting everything in a story. My favorite story that I wrote like this was just about a coat. I was watching Fringe, and my dad pointed out that the lead character was keeping her coat on all the time, to near insane degrees. That stuck with me until I went insane with it.

It's not exactly like I think that purchasing a gallon of milk is going to impact the world, but I think little things speak the most about people.

I have a friend who obsessively wears converse shoes. She wants to work in international affairs, is exceedingly sarcastic, and is incredibly bright even while blonde. The converse shoes have very little to do with that personality but without them she wouldn't be exactly herself. She wears those converse shoes out in marching band, where they fall apart because of roll stepping. She is the reason I bought my own pair of plaid converse, and they are my favorite pair of shoes.

I have a friend who almost always wore her backpack backwards. She's quiet, and always willing to take in someone's perspective while giving her own, without being judgemental. She had straight A's last year while having the craziest schedule in the world for a sophomore. Again, the backpack has little to do with any of her personality or work ethic, yet it is intangibly tied to that. She wore her backpack that way so she could eat during recess and lunch last year while we all walked everywhere. She shared with us a lot, tried to make us healthier people (and failed spectacularly as far as I'm concerned). That backpack is so little of her but it means so much.

Putting the little pieces of the picture together are a huge part of writing for me. Rambling incoherently while still somehow making sense is writing for me. Writing is sharing an idea, story or thought with the world and watching it fly.

And that's about as simple as I can make it.
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

PS: This is actually my rough rough rough draft for my English essay. We don't actually have the specific points for the essay, but she told us it's a nearly free range essay about writing. So I wrote this for you guys, and I will proceed to edit it in the coming weeks so that it can hit the point I need it to be. So like always, here are all of my incoherent random thoughts.

PPS: Yeah, BEDA FAIL! We'll figure that out later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)