Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A 1 am rant about the lack of usable office supplies

I am posting very early in the morning for this one, but if it comes down to me feeling a little off about it, I'll just post later today after I go to bed and get a night of sleep.

I heavily rely on my student planners. The act of writing things down, then numbering them by importance, even when sometimes I really don't need it, kept me sane last year while I was drowning, because at least I knew what I would have to do to stop. Every year since the fourth grade, all the schools I went to gave me one. But I'm really unsure if my new school will be issuing them, so I've gone on the prowl.

You would not believe how insanely hard it is to find something of quality. For one, I need a *student* planner. Not something that comes in fancy fake leather with undated sheets that go into a binder type thing on the inside. That's too much work for me, and in the end, I would probably stop using it. Now, since I'm the one buying it, I'm looking for something that is much more similar to my elementary and middle school planners. They were full sized spirals, with subjects marked on the side, and then a few extra subject spaces for electives. And on a few occasions I was managing to find things like this, that were meant to be bought in bulk, with you designing the cover with you school logo.

I've found something on amazon that I don't need to buy in bulk, is cheap, and fits my qualifications well. However, I would prefer to be shopping in a store like office max, or target, because that's the type of person I am. So I'm prowling their websites so that I might be able to just go to the store and avoid having to buy it off amazon. If only I were that lucky, because I am finding nothing.

In more office supply news, I am finding it really hard to find the clipboard I'm looking for. It's not a specific brand or anything like that, I just want one that is plastic, and has a compartment. I know a few people that have clipboards like that, and I really want one, because I know I would use it. I get sick of writing on top of text books and folders, and then I can keep my homework in one place, instead of scattered about like everything usually ends up. I mean, I always know where it is, but everyone else thinks I'm crazy to be keeping track of ten papers in ten different places.

I may seem crazy, needing specific office supplies. This is only a small bit of it, I mean, I will only use one mechanical pencil from papermate that is incredibly awesome, and I can never use those really cheap pens. And despite the fact that there is no getting out of buying a graphing calculator next year, I prefer to use my solar powered scientific calculator, that doesn't save anything that you've done or anything like that. I like graphing things by hand instead of sticking them into a calculator, and I'm positive I come out better for it. Whenever I have binders, ones for specific subjects have to be one inch binders in all different colors, and ones for everything (put in homework, or just sometimes things that shouldn't go in a subject binder) have to have zippers. Although the zipper binders are pointless half the time, because I just end up sticking folders inside of them. I hate binder tabs, and bulky normal binders. I always have to bring more than two bags to school, one is a backpack for for folders to be carried around, and occasionally books. The other one is a shoulder bag for personal items, and pens and pencils, and just random things, that can also become a bag full of homework supplies, when I have the opportunity to go somewhere after school to eat and stuff before coming back to school for band practice or something simular.

Spirals can be whatever, just as long as they are easily made to be ripped out without taking the spirally end along (not that I ever manage it).

I dunno, I get frenzied about school supplies, and I make far too many systems that don't need to be there.

I'm going to go, because it's about to be 2 am, and I'm a bit thirsty and definitely tired.
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)