Saturday, June 4, 2011

BEDiJ day 4

YA books...

So right now, there is a sort of twitter rally craziness thing going on. Look up the hash tag #YAsaves to get an idea. It's all a result of an article from the wall street journal, that basically bashed YA lit, and argued that censorship was perfectly okay. Also, it worked on reinforcing some gender stereo types with it's sort of approved list of YA lit (all good books, but there doesn't NEED to be an approved list).

Anyways, the hash tag #YAsaves currently has a whole bunch of people talking about how YA lit has done good for them, and I couldn't really say the most important way it has for me, as la famiglia follows my twitter, and does not know that I like girls... Right, but YA lit encouraged me to come out to people, and realize that I wasn't the only one in the world who was scared by what it meant to be gay. Also, YA lit has given me friends irl and online, giving me a supportive group of people every time that I have moved in the past five-ish years (I look particularly to Kat right now as I write this, who I only spoke to because she was wearing a Gryffindor jacket... even though Harry Potter may not technically be considered YA by some people).

In other, less important news, my eye hurts. And I drove a lot today without nearly getting into a crash that was my fault! (there was a near crash that would not have been my fault. There was an old lady and well... you know how that goes)

Oh! And apparently it is harder to find cat stickers than you would think. The world is crazy.
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

PS: Do any of you have twitter accounts I should be made aware of?
PPS: #YAsaves has just become the third highest trending topic! WHEEEEEEEE!

1 comment:

Marisa said...

Don't have one but I might get one.
Also, I was going to get piano lessons also.
I want them very badly, but I'm afraid I've been playing wrong and that I'm not really that good anyway...

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)