Friday, June 24, 2011

Yay for another month of blogging failed?

So since this week in Nerdfighteria has sort of been about religion I felt like a post about it. Because I made a comment on the latest video that said this:

I'm agnostic mostly because I can't see how defining things I don't actually know is going to help me in the long run. I believe in Nerdfighteria's power, and friendship, and love (of all kinds), and general human kindness and the empathy of the overall human condition.... And I know for a fact that these things have a wonderful power to believe in because I see it every day =)

And it made me think, because I truly do think and believe that.

I've been to church only a few times. Once with my grandmother, then around times with my friends Courtney and Ashley, who are Catholic and used to bring me when I stayed over. I also went to Courtney and Ashley's teen church group a couple of times, which was more about having fun than being religious. A lot of people in that group were not Catholic.

My friends really believe in God. And I believe that they are right to do that. Their church has given them a lot, and they have given it a lot. When we were all living in the same place, they (as well as my friend Corey, who is a non-specified Christian, and my friend Jessica who was very severe about her church and following God) used to teach me a lot about Christianity and what it means to be involved in religion, a whole lot of stuff that I never knew, and that I'm glad to know.

I don't want to diss religion or anything like that by saying that I'm agnostic. I'm agnostic because I don't know. I don't know anything about God, or Death, or Miracles, or anything like that. I'm not an athiest because I think that just like I don't know enough about those things to say they are real, I don't, and won't ever know enough about those things to say they are not - at least not while I am a living contributor to this planet.

Now, despite not being any sort of religious person, I think I still share a lot of the things that are at the center of every religion. I believe in love, in friendship, in humanity, in the mind, in tolerance, and hard work, and kindness, and sincerity, and a lot of other things that there is nearly no religion that disagrees (I must say nearly, because the Westboro Baptist Church is a good example of religion that doesn't stress tolerance and love, and I'm sure there are other, smaller denominations that don't either, I'm speaking in general).

I believe in these things because I see their value every day. I see friends doing good for each other. I see kindness in doors held open, and thank yous and you're welcomes. I see tolerance in the bill on same sex marriage in New York to hopefully be passed this evening. I see sincerity in these kind actions. I see hard work pay off as friends go to college with good grades they've worked for, or gain promotions from their hard work. I see love in parents and lovers and friends and family. I feel love as I spill my heart out to some people I really have come to see as close and amazing friends not just in this post, but in phone calls and emails and random letters and texts.

I love you!
~Jess the Nerdfighting BandGeek

PS: I woke up at 4:30 this morning in order to go to my first day of work (had to go with my dad, he leaves early). I fell asleep around 12:30. I hit slap happy at three this afternoon. So I really hope this wasn't all nonesense, because I am tired and slappy and surviving on the good grace of caffeine from my many cherry cokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should comment. Or not. It depends. Are you awesome? I think you're awesome. In that case you should comment. I'll probably comment back =)